Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Random Observations of the Day

- Today on CNN I saw a some news about a plane crash in a cemetery. I love cemeteries. In fact, I'm very passionate about this hobby of mine. So, I hear about this crash and the first thing I think is: "Oh dear, I hope none of the headstones were broken or damaged."
What the fuck is wrong with me? People are killed in a deadly crash, and all I can think about is the condition of gravestones? Not to say I don't feel bad for the victims and the families, this is the third big plane crash of the year. Disasters like this are very sad. But sometimes, it's hard to grasp them, to understand them if you're only seeing them in the toxic glow of a television screen. So, is it only natural, instead of facing the tragedy of loss of life, I fret about something that may be significant to me, but on a grand scale, quite the opposite.

-I went to see Coraline today. It was a five o' clock showing and people had brought their families. I missed the opening credits (like I did the first time I saw it) because people were taking so damn long in the concession line.
So I finally get in the theater. I'm getting into the story, enjoying the animation, and what do you know? Some small children start to chatter and continue to chatter throughout the film.
Film critics had warned parents about the film, because of the scary images present near the end. It's based off of a novel by Neil Gaiman, author of the Sandman graphic novel series, so naturally there WILL be some disturbing features.
So by the second half of the film, when the film starts to get a little eerie, I start to hear the soft whimpers and sobs of frightened children. Way to go, Mom and Dad, your kid is going to have nightmares tonight because you assumed that because Coraline is an animated film, that makes it appropriate for the ENTIRE family. WRONG. Just because something is animated, doesn't mean the kiddies can see it, haven't you ever seen a Japanese Hentai?

- Today is the Vernal Equinox. In other words, the first day of Spring. And how's the weather where I'm living? Cold. Cold and Windy.

No comments:

Post a Comment