Saturday, October 13, 2012

Cut-Off Points and Limits

Today, I had a stranger in McDonald's butt into a conversation my sister, mother and I were having about using pillow cases for trick or treating. We were discussing it, without actually mentioning trick or treating. She wanted to know why I would need a pillow case. Feeling cornered and annoyed, I reluctantly told her that my friends and I wanted to go trick or treating this year, adding that one is never too old for free candy.
The woman primly and stiffly replied that there was a 'cut-off point' for trick or treating? I was embarrassed. It was bad enough to have this lady butt into a conversation I was having with my family, but now it seemed like she was judging me as someone hopelessly immature and stupid. Or maybe she was just expressing her opinion, but still it sounded judgmental to me.
I tried to defend myself, explaining that I lived in a town where there wasn't much else to do on Halloween. My mother backed me up, saying that she'd rather have me go out and trick or treat, than go out bar hopping. I finished the defense by adding it's either trick or treat, or do drugs with the other kids. The woman didn't reply.

Today's little event had me pondering the whole stigma of teenagers and young adults going trick or treating. It's frowned upon. Trick or treating, by the expectations of our society is for little kids. Anyone older than twelve shouldn't be doing it. Teenagers and young adults should either stay home, or go to parties.
But what if you live in a town like Bellows Falls? A small town that has few Halloween events aimed at young people? A small town where the majority of parties end in the cops showing up?

Why should I have to give up doing something I enjoy just because some people think there's a 'cut-off point'? Why should there even BE a cut-off point? Detractors will give you a lot of excuses as to why:
They'll tell you it's creepy, they'll tell tales of teen delinquents, they'll claim it's immature.
Well, I am immature. I have ASD. I am emotionally behind my peer group. I don't feel like an adult 90% of the time. A lot of people in their teens and early twenties are in the same boat I am, ASD or no ASD. Childhood is still a fresh memory, and adulthood seems strange. So it's easier to fall back on doing something familiar, doing something you know and love. At least that's how I worked it out in my head.

Regardless of my own excuses, the point is, no one should tell you that you're too old, too young, to fat or thin, too this or that to do what you want. If you love doing something, then do it. No matter how old you are, or what you look like, or if you have a learning disorder, whatever. Do it. Go ahead and do it. Me, I'm going to celebrate Halloween the way I want, no matter what some busybody in McDonald's says, or what's considered socially acceptable.

As Eric Cartman says:

"Whateva, whateva, I do what I want."




1 comment:

  1. Crazy talk! I went trick or treating until I was 18. The only reason I stopped at 19 was because I was old enough to go to a club (I'm from Canada, legal drinking age in Ontario is 19). Frankly, if someone goes to the effort of getting dressed up for Halloween and to walk up to my door and say "Trick or Treat" they're getting candy. Kids that barely put in an effort on their costume get candy, but I'm more generous with the creative ones. Trick or treating is for all ages! I hope you got out there and got your candy!

    ReplyDelete