Saturday, November 28, 2009

Fox and Squirrel Pt. 2

Part 2: Vermont Invading New York
We drove to Lake George, chatting and listening to music. As I usually do on road trips, I counted cemeteries and then eventually dozed for awhile. Car rides make me sleepy, they always have. For as long as I can remember, putting me in a car has resulted in putting me to sleep.
As with most road trips, I don't remember all the details, possibly because of how uneventful they usually are. I don't remember the names of the towns we drove through, or what road we were on. If I did, the story would have too many details, and thus make your head explode. I have too many details in this story as it is.

We did eventually cross into New York. I spent my time trying to recognize landmarks from my first trip to the Great Escape, but found that I remembered very little, so we kept consulting the map.
At one point, we stopped at a Stewart's. Stewart's, for those of you who don't know, is a chain of gas stations that happen to sell damn good ice cream. They are very common throughout New York state, and because I lived in upstate NY for six years, they have a lot of sentimental value to me.

We stopped at the Stewart's for several reasons. First of all, we were quite lost, and needed directions. Secondly, I had to use the bathroom, and Acacia wanted something to eat. While we did have snacks like chips and Rice Krispy Treats, she needed something substantial. So we pulled into the parking lot, and ambled out of the car. I peed, Acacia bought herself a Stewart's hamburger, some iced cappuccino drinks, and an iced tea for me; then we got our directions and left.

As Vermonters, it felt weird driving in New York and a little uncomfortable, as well. As we drove through small towns, I felt like our presence was unwelcome to locals. We found this amusing though, and began to joke about Vermont invading New York. We dubbed ourselves North and South; I cannot recall who was which. I may have been North because I was born in Burlington, but Acacia could have been North because she goes to Johnson State College. Acacia could have been South because she was raised in southern Vermont, but I could have earned the title because I live there full-time. Either way, we would call ourselves North and South for the rest of the day.

After awhile, we got lost for a second time, due to some confusion regarding our map. Something about the turn we were supposed to take didn't seem right. It didn't look like it led to an amusement park, instead it looked like a lonely country road. So we pulled into yet another gas station, cheerful European pop blasting out of our car speakers, audible to all who happened to pass by. Acacia got out to ask for directions, while I stayed in the car and enjoyed the music.

I felt something special in the air, a something I can't describe to you. It was one of those days where I realized how delicious it is to be young, one of those days where I felt free and happy. I didn't realize at the time that after this trip, I would be plunged into a deep depression that would put me in group therapy. But at that moment, I wasn't thinking about the future. I was in the present, uninhibited by the past and unconcerned for the future, reveling in my excitement and temporary good fortune. I felt my age, twenty years old and having fun.

It turns out we had taken a wrong turn, or we hadn't even made the turn, I'm not sure which. We also found out that a lot of people pull into that station to ask for directions because they always get confused by that goddamn turn. So we weren't the only ones to get lost, much to my amusement.
When we got close to Lake George, and began to see the road signs advertising the park, the traffic began to thicken. I felt a twinge of panic clutch me, and fervently hoped they weren't all headed for The Great Escape. It was unlikely, seeing as Lake George is a vacation town, and has lots of parks, camps and other summer attractions, but I couldn't help but feel that fear.

The traffic was heavy, and seemed to go on for miles and miles. We must have been five miles outside of Lake George and the traffic was already extremely dense. Subsequently, we ended up stuck in a traffic jam.
The ordeal was frustrating. Very frustrating. To ease our nerves, and have some fun, we put Phantom of the Opera into the car CD player, rolled down the windows and turned up the volume. Then we sang at the top of our lungs, with enthusiasm. High notes were hit, and nearby drivers stared. I don't know if we sounded any good, but it was an entertaining distraction.

But by the time we were in the shopping district of Lake George, the music wasn't helping. I felt frustrated and fussy. So we turned off the music, and decided to vent another way.
Swearing, often has stress and pain relieving effects. I don't know why, but it does; there have been scientific studies and everything. That being said, we decided to vent our frustrations and anxieties by swearing and swearing well. We said some filthy, obscene things and we made up some fantastically hilarious swears. One of the terms I made up was "Cunt Monkey". We found ourselves laughing, swearing and screaming at the traffic, our windows down, Lake George hearing our foul mouths. I think we may have traumatized some children or at the very least offended their parents.
Soon enough, the traffic began to clear, like mucus expectorating from congested lungs. We laughed some more, decided that our swearing had made the traffic move, and continued onward.

Soon enough, I began to notice certain landmarks that heralded the appearance of the park, including a staid office building which sits just next door to The Great Escape. I've always loved the contrast of these two opposites sitting next to each other, the office building and the amusement park.
I felt a tingle of excitement, soon we would be there! Then, at last, I saw the park itself, looking a little different than the last time I saw it, but it was still The Great Escape!
But there were other changes, beyond the ones that I could see and I was about to find out how big those changes were...

And you'll find out too! In my next installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment