Saturday, April 11, 2009

Hershey Part Six

It's never going to end is it?

Part 6: Highly Amusing
Lindsey and I stood as still as we possibly could, our backs straight and our chins high. I pretended I was in the British Navy during the Napoleonic Wars, and if I didn't stand perfectly stationary, I would be flogged. It worked for the most part, though I fidgeted a few times; I can't help it. Ms. Westbrook would later compliment Lindsey and I for standing so dignified in comparison to the representatives from other schools, who slouched, moved around and whispered the entire time.

The ceremony dragged on and on. Eventually the awards for high school choirs were given out. Unfortunately, we didn't do as well as we did last year. We certainly didn't win first place, and the rating we were given was a "good". That's the lowest you can get! Last year we had won best overall with a rating of 'excellent'! Why did we do so badly this year? I turned my head to look at my choir sitting in the bleachers. After the initial cheering (which one must do out of graciousness if not actual joy), their faces were still as stone, some looked incredibly disappointed. Angry thoughts raced in my head, our choir wasn't as good as it was last year, no one took the music very seriously, they only cared about the theme park. I hoped the band would do better than us, and they certainly did. The Jazz band even won the best overall award! Last year they were the ones to do poorly, while the choir had succeeded. This year was a complete role reversal. Also, Kenny won a special award for best soloist accompanying a choir! We were all so proud of him!
After the boring ceremony finally ended, we navigated our way out of the pressing crowds, I was relieved that it was over. Some of the choir members were complaining about losing; I wished they would shut up about it. You can't win every time. Yeah, I was upset about losing too, but I was more accepting of the situation. We had won last year, so there were probably some high expectations. Some of us may have gotten overly confident, and as a result, slacked off during the long months of rehearsal.

We all gathered together and took pictures of ourselves and our trophies. It was hot out; I wanted to get photo shoot over with and run back into the park. My impatience was recorded, in every single group photo, I either appear frustrated or forlorn. My slightly sullen expression stood out in a sea of grins.
Then, we made the short but agonizing walk back into the park. I felt rather rushed and panicked, because one of my friends wanted me to walk faster and was acting rather snippy, much to my annoyance. She even whacked my leg with her bag, in an effort to make me speed up. I think she was just anxious to get back inside Chocolate World, though.

I grouped up with Brandi, Steph and a few other girls. One of them was Amanda, a dear friend of mine. We are both Abenaki and had bonded over that during the school year. She couldn't go on many rides, but I had promised her that I would join her on the rides that didn't make her sick.
Our little band of chicas stopped at the chocolate shop, where they sold chocolate fresh from the factory and Hershey themed merchandise such as plush toys, pillows and mugs. I bought a king size Cookies and Cream bar for $.85, the price of a regular sized one back home in VT. I also bought a chocolate covered pretzel, garnished with milk chocolate and white chocolate chips. They called it "The Dalmatian" and it looked delicious.

We wandered around, munching on our sugary treats and watching some lame music group who went throughout the park banging on trash can lids and singing. I declared them the dumbest band ever. I couldn't finish my pretzel, it was too decadent, and gave it to Amanda to finish.
We left the Idiots and Their Trashcans, deciding to go on The Scrambler. Amanda didn't get on with us, but I politely asked her to hold the bags and purses. She said yes, and added that it was nice of me to ask, because usually no one ever asks the person who holds all the bags to do their duty.

For once, the line was short. I got in a carriage with Brandi, we buckled in, and closed the carriage's gate. The ride started, it was fast and fun, as Scramblers usually are, but I demanded more speed, anyway. Nothing is ever fast enough, you know?
Afterwards, the other girls went off to do something, what it was I can't remember. Amanda and I rode the gondola (kind of like a ski-lift) that went over the man-made river. The ride was slow and gentle, only jerking along the cable slightly. We admired the size of the carp swimming in the river and the ducks. We spotted the largest carp we could find and joked about how our ancestors would call it good eatin'.

After, I somehow found myself with Nick, Emily and Josh. I don't know what happened to Amanda. They didn't want to go on too many rides. We may have gone on the pirate ship again, and at some point I bought a giant bucket of French Fries, which were amazingly good. I shared them with my friends, and Nick invented the "Feasting Song", which went somewhere along the lines of "And we were feasting, and we feasted..."

My memory gets really hazy at this point. I don't know what rides we went on, we may have gone on the Himalaya, which is always fun. I know we rode the bumper cars, which was highly unpleasant. I felt pretty winded from all the times I got hit by the other cars, because the impact would make me jerk forward and bash my stomach into the lap bar. One girl slammed into my car very hard, causing me much pain. She apologized, and seemed genuinely concerned. Nonetheless, I vowed to never ride one of those fuckers ever again, a promise which I would break. At some point I met up with Stephenie, Brandi, Kenny, Ashley, and Shaylyn. Maybe it was then that we rode the Himalaya; I really wish I could remember, but it's not important.
Kenny and I got in line to ride the Wildcat. It was my second time riding the coaster that day, but we had made pact several months earlier that we would ride it together. I would not break my promise.
The line was much shorter this time around. As we rode, the car whipping along the tracks, the wind in our faces, I could hear Kenny's voice drop several octaves. I laughed, hearing mild-mannered, soft-voiced Kenny sounded like The Kool-Aid Man as he yelled "OH YEAH!".

Eventually, we had to meet everyone at the carousel, so we could do the traditional group carousel ride, like we did last year. I selected the Plains Indian themed horse. I was nervous, last year, I didn't end up in the video of all of us on the carousel, it seemed like everyone else did but me. This year, I hoped to make it in.
Ms. Westbrook filmed me first, as I cried out: "Look I'm an Indian!" (which I am!) and then she went on to film someone else. I haven't seen the video from 2008, only the disappointing video of 2007.
We had the whole carousel to ourselves, as had been arranged. We boisterously sang the school song and had a wonderful time.

After, I grouped up with Hannah, Courtney, Amanda, Aaron and several others. We stopped at a gift shop that sold crystals and jewelry. I didn't buy anything, but several of my friends did. Then we got in line to ride The Comet, a wooden roller coaster identical to a roller coaster of the same name at The Great Escape. The only difference is that this one is said to be haunted. The Carousel at Hershey is said to be haunted too.
The line was long, but not horribly so. We would be riding with Mr. Burke, Codi-Ann and J.J, the kid who had sprayed me with the hose that morning. We made jokes, and engaged in the usual line talk. When we finally got on, we got to sit in the front. I sat in the second car with Hannah; Mr. Burke had the honor of sitting in the first car.

It was a delightful ride. I had my hands high in the air, laughing as I listened to Mr. Burke giggle wickedly in front of me.
When we got off the roller coaster, we decided to ride the Kissing Tower, a fifty foot tower that has a view of the whole park and what looks like all of Hershey, PA. It is best ridden at night, so one can view the dazzling carnival lights.
The view was breath-taking, the ride relaxing. I felt an odd sense of safety, as I stared at the flashing, glittering lights of the amusement park. It was surreal, the feeling that nothing bad could ever happen, that life was uncomplicated and lovely. A sense of unfathomable wonder had taken and enchanted me and yet, underneath that blanket of well-being, I knew that the glittering lights and sense of safety were akin to Faery Glamour. It wasn't real, and I knew it wasn't.
We came down to Earth slowly. It was strange, that descent and I felt some of the glamour melt away. The night was still beautiful however, and there was still one thing I desperately wanted to do. I had wanted to ride The Great Bear, a coaster where the riders' legs dangle in the air as it goes through loops and sharp turns. I enjoyed it last year and wanted to ride it again.

We waited for our turn in the sweet bluish purple dusk, Hannah, Codi-Ann, Courtney and I. Mr. Burke sat this one out because of his neck. I was excited, last year this coaster had helped me get over my fear of upside down coasters and I had enjoyed it immensely.
We got in the second to last row of seats, the same place I had sat last year; my glasses were safely put away. I was nervous and excited, which is my usual state of emotions when I'm on a roller coaster. Finally, the ride started.
This time, it wasn't so great. I found myself wishing the ride was over, as my body was thrown from side to side. My hips were aching; this always happens to me on roller coasters that go upside down, I have no clue why. Finally the ride finished and we reunited with Mr. Burke. We could go on one last ride before heading back to the bus. If I was going to go on The Fahrenheit, it was now or never.

Next, the final installment. Will I live up to my bravado? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment