Monday, April 6, 2009

Hershey Part 4

Part 4: The Hope That No One Will Vomit On You
So here we were, with a large thunderstorm hanging over our heads. We were supposed to spend a day in an amusement park! The situation seemed bleak and it felt like everyone was in a dark mood. As we waited to leave the hotel parking lot, I chewed bubblegum and took pictures of the bubbles I made. The sky was a dark miserable gray, and rain slapped the windows of the bus ominously. I heard Miss Westbrook suggest that we just go to the mall. I hoped she was joking; I really wanted to go to the park!

As we drove to Hershey Park, the rain began to lighten up and the sky started to clear a little. The sun shone softly through the clouds. We approached the park and I became so anxious, so excited, that I asked one of the chaperones if I could hold her hand. I explained to her that grasping someone's hand would help keep me calm. So Mrs. Guild kindly took my hand in hers, and held it as the bus searched for a parking space.
Once we were parked, our tickets were passed out and so were our enameled blue Music in the Parks pins; I put mine on my dark blue hoodie. It matched perfectly. Then we all rushed towards the entrance to Hershey's Chocolate World. We passed through security, and let them search our bags. I showed them my prescription anxiety pills (I had my Seroquel handy in case of a panic attack) and the guards passed me on through. Then I went to the admission booth to turn in my ticket and have my hand stamped with a special ink that would glow under a blacklight.

Inside the park it was still very wet and most of the rides were temporarily closed because of this. The lines of the rides that were open were ridiculously long. Eventually my group and I decided to go on the Tilt O' Whirl. Last year, I had wanted to ride it, and had never gotten a chance. We waited in the seemingly endless line, quietly chatting. It was humid and my sneakers were soaked; I tried very hard to control my discomfort and anxiety. Then finally, we got on the ride, I sat with Stephenie and Brandi. The car's shape reminded me of an alcove or a half-shell; we pulled the bar over our laps and waited for the ride to start. It started off slowly, picking up speed. It spun faster and faster, making the car we were sitting in spin of it's own accord. So now the whole ride was spinning and tilting, twirling erratically. We squealed and laughed in delight, clutching the lap bar. The ride went faster and faster, and soon it was over. We walked off, our legs wobbling, laughing at each other and the faces we had made, the things we had shouted in the heat of the moment. Then we got in line for The Sooper Dooper Looper roller coaster. A little spoiler- it only has one loop. I consider its title to be a misnomer. If it had more than two loops, it would deserve the name. But nevertheless, it was a ride I had enjoyed last year; I had ridden it about five or six times.

The line was long. We had waited a half an hour to ride it. Then, just before were to get on, a handicapped person showed up and took our place on the roller coaster. Not only did the girl in her wheelchair get on ahead of us, but so did her ENTIRE party; it was aggravating and frustrating. At the moment it seemed kind of unfair. I know, that because of her wheelchair, she can't use the regular line with its stairs, but when you've been waiting for half an hour or even more, logic means nothing.

When it was finally our turn, Shaylyn and I got on together. The rest of the group still had to wait in line.
Even though the coaster is the upside down type, we only had a lap bar for a restraint. We buckled in, and pulled the bar down. My glasses sat in my bag, in the little storage cubbie provided. I felt the usual pang of anxiety I feel whenever I ride a roller coaster. My stomach was dancing, my heart thumping. The ride started; it began slowly, rolling out of the station and then up a hill. Going up the hill is the worst part of the coaster. The sound of grinding chains, the dizzy anticipation, the mixture of fear and giddiness. The hope that no one will vomit on you.

The cars dropped down the hill, my stomach dropping to my knees delightfully. We went through the single loop, with an incredible rush. The whipping wind and the sound of screams filled my ears. After the loop, the ride was a little more tame, going through some twists and turns, even going through a tunnel at one point (I love tunnels on roller coasters). It was fantastic; I used to hate roller coasters, especially upside down ones, but now I enjoyed the thrill of weightlessness, the joy of being suspended upside down for a brief moment.  When the ride was over, Shaylyn and I waited outside the coaster's exit for the rest of our party.

We didn't have much time to go on another ride, because we had to meet the rest of the group at Tidal Force catering for lunch. The previous year, I'd managed to go on more than two rides before lunchtime. So we made our way over there, handed in our lunch tickets and went to have some real food. I ate a couple of hot dogs and some pasta salad, drank some soda. I felt too wound up to eat very much, I spent most of my time jiggling my legs and engaging in conversation with my teacher. I found out, to my anger, that Ms. Westbrook had been mugged by some kids at the security checkpoint and the guards there had done NOTHING! Why wouldn't they do anything? Aren't they supposed to protect park guests, isn't that their job?
While I was talking and observing my surroundings, I saw it. The newest roller coaster at Hershey. Its name was Fahrenheit. A bright orange steel coaster, with a 97 degree drop! I wasn't the only one marveling at it either, some of the other kids in band and choir were commenting on its might and ferocity. I vowed I would go on that ride, simply because it frightened me so. I declared to anyone that would listen that I was going to ride that coaster by the end of the day. But was I going to stay true to my word?

Stay tuned to find out if I break my promise, and to read about the other thrills and spills I get into!

No comments:

Post a Comment