Friday, February 4, 2011

Why I Love Taking People To Cemeteries

It's already been established that I love cemeteries. And while I usually visit them by myself, I do enjoy bringing people along for my cemetery safaris. Friends, family, romantic interests, I've dragged them all to cemeteries.
A cemetery is a great place to hang out with someone, once you get around the fact that you've got several hundred dead bodies under your feet. Provided your companion(s) don't have a phobia of burial grounds, and are open-minded, you're bound to have a good time, and here's a few reasons why:

1. Cemeteries are Peaceful
Cemeteries are generally quiet and calm places, especially if they're small, rural cemeteries. Unless a very famous person is buried there, or the cemetery has some kind of reputation, you're not going to find a lot of people there. Unfortunately, because most cemeteries are so isolated, a lot of teenagers and other young people use them as a place to party. This leads to vandalism and littering most of the time. I DO NOT condone partying or vandalism in cemeteries, I find such behavior deplorable.
When I take my loved ones to cemeteries, I find that the quietness makes it easier for us to enjoy each other's company. Surrounded by tombstones, I've had deep, meaningful conversations with my companions. There aren't any distractions in a cemetery, even if it's near a busy road or in the middle of civilization. Entering a cemetery can be a lot like entering another realm. Once inside, nothing matters but you and whoever you're with. You can discuss a lot of things, be honest, be yourself. A cemetery isn't like a club, you're not going to find pretentious hipsters judging your every move, just a lot of silent dead people and maybe a caretaker.

2. Cemeteries Can Be Interesting
Most people assume that cemeteries are boring places, but more often than not, I'll take someone to a cemetery, and they'll find themselves utterly fascinated by the monuments and their, epitaphs, carvings and statues. They'll comment on names, dates, and the items people leave on gravestones. They ask questions, questions I love answering. And while they may not become full-blown taphophiles like myself, my cemetery companions are at least briefly interested in a passion that is so near and dear to me.

3. You Can See Interesting Wildlife
Animals can adapt to pretty much any environment. We see birds nesting in buildings, squirrels climbing telephone wires and skunks raiding dumpsters. And as I've often seen, animals live quite comfortably in cemeteries, especially the park style of cemetery made popular in the 19th century. It's a lot of fun taking friends to a graveyard and admiring all the different types of animals that inhabit the area. I've seen squirrels leaping around, climbing trees and sitting on gravestones. I've seen plenty of birds, especially crows, perched on monuments. Once my boyfriend and I saw a little frog in Oak Hill cemetery. He's from New Jersey, and that frog was the first live frog he'd ever seen.
Domestic animals also get in on the game. I can't tell you how many times I've strolled through a cemetery just to find a house cat, sauntering between the headstones, or napping on the flat monuments. These cemetery cats always have this look, like they own the place, and they're patrolling the grounds, making sure nothing, supernatural or otherwise is disturbing the peace. It makes sense. Cats used to be considered guardians of the Afterlife.

4. Great Dog Walking
This is a touchy subject, seeing as most cemeteries forbid dogs. This is because dogs have a tendency to poop, and their owners have a tendency to not pick up after them.
But, if you're a responsible dog walker, who follows the laws regarding leashes and plastic baggies, then cemeteries, especially large ones are great places to take Rover for a jaunt. My Aunt Michelle and I take her charming Goldendoodle, Izzy to plenty of cemeteries, and it's down right pleasant. Izzy loves it. There's lots of new things to sniff, room to run around, and if your dog gets thirsty, you can just turn on one of the spigots used to water flowers. I wouldn't recommend going on a cemetery doggy walk however, if your pooch doesn't follow commands really well, since there's nothing worse than a loose dog in a cemetery. Except maybe loose teenagers in a cemetery.

5. Cemeteries Are Just Awesome
Let's face it. Cemeteries are actually really cool places. You can learn a lot about society, culture and history just by looking at a cemetery. While yes, sometimes they can be spooky, they can be fun too, and sometimes that spookiness is part of the fun, especially around Halloween. Don't hesitate. Grab some friends, some family, and explore your local cemetery! You'll be surprised about how much you'll enjoy yourselves.
But on a somber note, if you do go to a cemetery, PLEASE treat the place with respect. That means no drinking, littering, vandalism. This is sacred ground. How would you feel if a bunch of assholes destroyed the graves of your loved ones, for no reason other than that they were bored or drunk? You'd feel like shit, wouldn't you? You'd be hurt, and angry. So before you kick over that gravestone, or tag it with graffiti, think about the person buried there, and the people they left behind who loved them. It doesn't matter if it's an old slate stone from the 18th century, a faded marble stone from the 19th century or a brand new shiny granite monument. That grave still belongs to a person. A person just like you. So have a heart.
And if that speech didn't dissuade you from your path of destruction, then maybe this will. Vandalism is illegal. It is illegal, and you will most likely be caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment